WHAT IS THE BATTLE OF THE BREWERIES?
The Battle of the Breweries is a draft style hockey tournament for players of the Tulsa Adult Hockey League. Each team will be sponsored by a brewery and represent them on the ice.
Bring your family and friends to cheer you on. There will be food, beer from sponsoring breweries, and action packed hockey!
HOW IT WORKS
There will be a total of six teams. Registration will be limited to the first 6 goalies and 90 skaters. Tulsa Adult Hockey League players from all skill levels are welcome to play. Each round of the draft will have 6 players to choose from who have been grouped together by skill level. For example, a round of only yellow ranked players or only green ranked players. That way everyone gets a ringer and everyone gets a rookie.
The draft will be on ice and start with the six goalies. The goalies will compete in a quick skills challenge (60-90 second game). The results of that game will determine who picks first, second, third, and so on. Goalies will then choose which brewery they represent as well as players from the first round of six available players. Those six players will then compete in the same quick skills challenge to determine the order of picks for the next round and so on.
Teams will have between 10 and 15 skaters and a goalie. Each team will play four games to decide which championship game they will play in. Seeds 1 & 2 will compete for the Gold Championship, Seeds 3 & 4 will compete for the Silver Championship, and seeds 5 & 6 will compete for the Bronze Championship.
The draft will be held on the evening of Thursday January 19th. Games will begin Saturday June 21st. Every team’s first game will be played at the BOK Center. The remaining 4 games will be played at the Oilers Ice Center over the 21st and 22nd. Players do not have to be present for the draft, but it is highly encouraged.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR THE PLAYERS?
- Guaranteed 5 games (4 “Regular Season”, 1 Championship)
- Team Jersey of a sponsoring brewery (The Nook Brewing Co., The Cape Brewing Co., Dead Armadillo Craft Brewing, Heirloom Rustic Ales, Cabin Boys Brewing Co., Hop & Sting Brewing Co.)
- Matching socks (Socks sponsored by POLARcreō, Accent Realtors, Saylor Trucking, and Bemies Dirt, Sand, & Gravel)
- Tournament t-shirt
- Two tickets to the Tulsa Oilers game on Friday the 20th.
- Each team will give one player an MVP award (MVP Award sponsored by Play It Again Sports)
- Tournament Koozie
- For players 21 years old and older, a couple of rounds of beer
- The three championship teams will earn medals
The fee is $225 per player for early birds and $250 for everyone else.
Fees are not refundable, but can be transferred to another player.
Registration will be limited to the first 6 goalies and 90 skaters. The goal is to make the teams as even as possible. Special action may be taken to balance teams.
The rules will be the same as they are in the Tulsa Adult Hockey League with a few exceptions.
- Games will consist of 15-minute periods. It seems short, but 5 games in 24 hours is a lot of hockey.
- No game will end in a tie. Except for the championship games, all ties at the end of regulation time will go to a shoot out. Teams will start with 3 shooters. If it is still a tie after 3 shooters then teams will shoot one player at a time. No player can be recycled in a shoot out until all players have shot. Players serving a penalty at the end of regulation time are not eligible to shoot. Championship games will play 5 minutes of 4 on 4 sudden death overtime then go to a shoot out if needed.
- Tie breakers will be by points, wins, goal differential, and goals for.
- Any fight will result in an ejection from the tournament. Let’s foster the camaraderie that the Tulsa hockey community offers while keeping a competitive spirit.
- To keep teams evenly skilled as possible, special consideration may be taken during registration or while forming teams.
- The tournament organizers and referees will have final say on how to handle any unforeseen circumstances. This includes any incidents that may occur off ice.
- Safety is priority. Drink and play responsibly.